Thursday, February 17, 2011

This is my pen...

This is a short piece I wrote, modeling the Rifleman's Creed.  I work at a military school so the creed seemed like a logical muse.  We recite the Writer's Creed between a mini lesson and our writer's workshop time.  I find that it helps the students focus on the task ahead after the direct instruction and the transitions to workshop stations.  It has almost become a sort of class motto.  I would love to hear if others do something similar!

The Writer's Creed
This is my pen.  There are many like it, but this one is mine.  My pen is my best friend.  It is my life.  I must master it as I must master my life.  My pen, without me, is useless.  Without my pen, I am useless.  My pen represents my ability to communicate.  I must use my pen to persuade, to inform, to entertain, and to inspire. I will…

My pen is human, even as I, because it is my life.  Thus, I will learn its weaknesses and its strengths.  I will use it to organize my ideas and share my voice through strong word choice, fluency, and conventions.

Before all, I swear this creed.  My pen and I are the defenders of my aptitude.  We are the masters of our enemy.  So be it, until education is mine and there is no ignorance, but intelligence.

No comments:

Post a Comment